Guests were able to order a salad(caesar or special lettuce with mandarin oranges and walnuts), an entrée(linguini, tilapia or crusted chicken) and dessert(chocolate mocha cake or tangerine sorbet). Everyone seemed to be engaged in serious conversation during dinner. Topics ranged from business ventures to interesting research ideas in Public Relations.
Just as everyone finished stuffing themselves with rich chocolate cake or tangerine sorbet, the keynote speaker, Kevin Dugan, began his presentation. He caught the audience's attention with this cool video, "Is Content King?" exploring the power of social media. The video includes an array of new media tools and the dark side of social media also. He mentioned Virgin Mobile's illegal use of a Flickr photo which I blogged about on our class blog! People really enjoyed the video as there were cheers and applause afterwards. Although he was instructed to be brief and not too detailed, Mr. Dugan really brought up some great points:
- We>Me - WE is greater than you and me
- Transparency, authenticity - The key to active, informed, passionate conversation is to just be honest and genuine.
- Things are always going to change - But that is okay, just keep changing with it.
- Search engine optimization is important
- Page view is dead - Gone are the days where we measure levels of engagement through hits. Length of time spent and other factors are more important.
- New tools = New rule
- For more on what Kevin had to say click here to experience!
So start playing with the tools if you haven't already!